How does wear occur?
Screw and barrel wear on injection molding machines and extruders has many different causes and manifests itself in various ways. The tool life / durability depends on many factors.
New plastics with an increasing share of fillers, reinforcing materials, and other additives are making increasing demands on the plasticizing unit.
In practice, wear can occur under the following conditions:
- High processing temperatures (reduced heat resistance).
- High injection pressure, often in combination with high temperatures.
- Processing of fillers and reinforcing materials.
- Friction causes adhesion processes – which in turn leads to symptoms of damage.
- Corrosion due to flame retarding additives.
- High throughput and thus higher load of cylinder and screw.